tuto "les ruches"

Yesterday I read Kathleen's  post in Fashion Incubator discussing the difference between tucks and pleats.
In the comments Marilyn  mentionned that some "fashionisti" snobs used the french term "ruche" instead of gather or gathering.
To confirm her assertion here's a tutorial I found in my personnal library concerning "ruches". These are much more tan simple gathers.

ruches0

ruches1

ruches2

ruches3

ruches4

ruches 5

ruches 6

ruches7

Hopefully, this will be of some help or interest to somebody.

The french explanations may be somewhat confusing but the images speak for themselves.

Commentaires

  1. Great images, I've been three years removed from my French so I'd have to actually sit down and look at the instructions more.

    But do not forget that ruching can be as simple as gathering. However, the key to remember is that it is a decorative trim. You would gather a skirt to a waistband, but if you applied a gathered strip of fabric (be it using the elaborate techniques your book shows or simply a gathering or pleated stitch down the middle) in a decorative pattern to the skirt - that would fall under the term ruching.

    Unfortunately, the image I have that perfectly shows this is in a book and I dont have the means to photo it right now. But simply do a search for watteau court gowns, much of the decoration on those elaborate gowns is ruching.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Michael, thanks for stopping by here.
    Your comment is very much appreciated and your knowledge is undoubtably greater than mine. I will follow you advice and do a research on Watteau court gowns. Historical costumes are one of my all to numerous interest and I am very glad to have discover your blog.
    I tried to send you an email on your aol adress but it did not work.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I wish this book came in English b/c I would buy it - whatever that gathering is, looks like the book would be a great resource!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Ah a project to practice my French translation skills. A challenge after 10 weeks of lessons!

    RépondreSupprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire

Merci pour votre visite. Vos commentaires sont toujours appréciés.

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Une chemise pour mon homme

couffin pour poupée

Ajuster un pantalon : raccourcir la fourche